Friday, October 10, 2008

Feedin' chickens




We bought a dozen chickens at the beginning of the summer. We bought pullets that are all suppose to be hens. Now that they are older we have discovered that some one at the hatchery can't tell the difference between the boy and the girl chickens. We ended up with 3 roosters out of 12 chicks. Not a great success story for the guys doing the sorting.


Riley has decided that it is his job to throw out the scratch to them every morning. He is great at it and the chickens have figured out that when the cute little boy heads towards the shed it means breakfast. It is quite a site to watch them all run across the backyard after him.

Picture 11 chickens (we lost one when it went over the fence and met the dogs) running as fast as they can after one 3 year old little boy. I would like everyone to take notice of the custom feed scoop that he uses to measure scratch for "his" chickens. We like to recycle what we can around here.

3 comments:

Michelle Ashton said...

Funny. Kinda like the chicken race at the rodeo only they were roosters. :)

Hey so why don't you just give me your email address and I will send you that picture if Mimi, Mrs. Hancock and Conner. :) That way you don't have to wait on me. :)

Michelle Ashton said...

Ooh. I just remembered that it's on my blog. It back a few pages from the first day of school. I think you can click on it and save it. ??? Let me know.

Honey Girl said...

Hey, I didn't know you had a blog. I'm going to have to add you. Well, we survived soccer and it ended before it got too cold! You're boys are really cute. Connor always makes sure to say hi to Chase.